|BREAKING: Nikki Minaj wore a hoodie ans was late last night.|
Since you all were busy, let me get you up to date with what happened in Afghanistan yesterday:
- Two U.S. special operations forces were gunned down in an insider attack by an Afghan policeman in eastern Afghanistan.
- A helicopter crash in southern Afghanistan killed five American service members. (Back before the American people blindly accepted the Washington Establishment's word, we would have said the helicopter was "shot down," but that's, you know, icky, so instead it's referred to as a "crash" (it's much easier to blame the five deaths on something we did instead of something the enemy did). In fairness the UN did say there was no "enemy activity in the area." You believe them at your own peril. I don't.)
- At the same time the crash was being reported, Afghan President Hamid Karzai was berating the Taliban for giving the U.S. a reason to stay in the country by staging the deadly weekend attacks that killed at least 19 Afghans, including eight children. "Do you think you really show America you are strong? No. This is not showing power, this just serves the Americans."
...war has to be a last resort, as it threatens to make the American President a virtual dictator, diminishes the constitutional powers of Congress, contracts civil liberties, injures the habitual self-reliance and self-government of the American people, distorts the economy, sinks the federal government in debt, [and erodes] public morality.
- Russell Kirk in praise of Senator Robert A. Taft (R-OH) 1967.
Because there is no draft, Americans have learned how to shrug their shoulders and change the channel whenever they are confronted with the maiming and killing or our sons and daughters. After all, they did volunteer, didn't they? This is usually on the same breath that most people angrily acknowledge that joining the military is a way out of poverty for a vast number of military personnel who are faced with diminished prospects at home.
|NOT BREAKING NEWS: Our soldiers are heroes and deserve peace.|
America has grown comfortable with war in the age of the Bush-Obama government mission-creep, and that is disgusting.
Here is a list of the length of our major wars:
- Vietnam - 19 years 5 months
- Afghanistan - 11 years 5 months
- Iraq - 8 years 7 months
- American Revolution - 8 years 4 months
- American Civil War - 4 years
- World War II - 3 years 8 months
- Korea - 3 years 1 month
- War of 1812 - 2 years 6 months
- Mexican-American War - 1 year 10 months
- Word War I - 1 year 7 months
- Spanish-American War - 8 months
- Persian Gulf War - 6 weeks
Presumably, those same "impressionable libertarian kids in their dorm rooms" are also potential military volunteers who may find themselves missing limbs or eyes after encountering a roadside IED in Afghanistan.
The Left thinks Paul is a lunatic and the Right thinks he is crazy. What's that say about what the Left and Right Establishment thinks of you and me?
If you're okay with this, you're the problem.
If you're not disgusted by what your government is doing in the world and here at home, you're the problem.