Former LAPD officer Christopher Dorner was killed by authorities in California after a murderous rampage that ended the lives of four people, and wounded three others. One was wounded in a case of mistaken identity when officers in California stopped a truck that matched the truck Dorner was driving and mistakenly shot a 71 year-old woman in the back.
Former LAPD Detective Mark Fuhrman, painted a different picture of Dorner yesterday saying his time on the force was difficult and that he had a "troubled" career with the LAPD. A training officer who wished to remain anonymous last week out of fear of reprisal from Dorner remarked on his strength but acknowledged that training officers gave Dorner a hard time because of his weight. Officers who trained with Dorner stated that he had a history of "getting in your face" in an aggressive manner that Dorner claimed was just his way of having fun.
According to a report in the LA Times Dorner was labeled a "hot-head" and had a history of filing complaints against fellow officers. Dorner's complaints included:
- Accusing other officers of using racial slurs against him
- Accusing another officer of urinating on his uniform jacket
- Accusing a female training officer of kicking a mentally ill man in the head
"During an LAPD Board of Rights hearing into the case, Sgt. Sherrielyn Anderson argued that Dorner 'lacks the integrity necessary' to be a cop and 'should receive the harshest penalty for violating the trust of his peers, his department and the public he was sworn to serve,' according to a transcript of the hearing." - From the LA TimesIt has not been widely reported - as it is in the case of killers who have Right-leaning politics that Dorner had a very Left-leaning set of political beliefs that he espoused in detail in his manifesto. It is not out of line to note here that the corporate media also did not report on the political leanings of the Aurora theater shooter (OWS supporter and Democrat volunteer) Jared Loughner (stated visceral hatred of George W. Bush).
Here is a list of Dorner's "high value targets":
- White officers who pick assignments in black neighborhoods solely to mete out street justice on minorities
- Hispanic officers who "victimize their own ethnicity because they are new immigrants to this country and are unaware of their civil rights."
- Lesbian officers who "go to work day in and day out" with the sole intention of degrading male officers
- Asian officers who stand by and observe everything I previously mentioned other officers participate in on a daily basis but you say nothing, stand for nothing and protect nothing. Why? Because of your usual saying, " I......don't like conflict".
Here are Dorner's unreported political shout-outs:
- Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) for her calls to re-instate the assault weapons ban
- Lengthy defense of President Obama against people who question him
- An attack of George W. Bush for being a 'C' student while an under-grad
- "Off the record, I love your new bangs, Mrs. Obama."
- "Mr. Vice President, do your due diligence when formulating a concise and permanent national AWB plan. Future generations of Americans depend on your plan and advisement to the president. I've always been a fan of yours and consider you one of the few genuine and charismatic politicians. Damn, sounds like an oxymoron calling you an honest politician. It's the truth."
- "Hillary Clinton. You'll make one hell of a president in 2016. Much like your husband, Bill, you will be one of the greatest. Look at Castro in San Antonio as a running mate or possible secretary of state. He's (good people) and I have faith and confidence in him. Look after Bill. He was always my favorite President. Chelsea grew up to be one hell of an attractive woman. No disrespect to her husband."
- "Gov. Chris Christie. What can I say? You're the only person I would like to see in the White House in 2016 other than Hillary. You're America's no shit taking uncle. Do one thing for your wife, kids, and supporters. Start walking at night and eat a little less, not a lot less, just a little. We want to see you around for a long time. Your leadership is greatly needed."
- "Wayne LaPierre, President of the NRA, you're a vile and inhumane piece of shit. You never even showed 30 seconds of empathy for the children, teachers, and families of Sandy Hook. You deflected any type of blame/responsibility and directed it toward the influence of movies and the media. You are a failure of a human being. May all of your immediate and distant family die horrific deaths in front of you."
- "Chris Matthews, Joe Scarborough, Pat Harvey, Brian Williams, Soledad Obrien, Wolf Blitzer, Meredith Viera, Tavis Smiley, and Anderson Cooper, keep up the great work and follow Cronkite's lead. I hold many of you in the same regard as Tom Brokaw and the late Peter Jennings. Cooper, stop nagging and berating your guest, they're your (guest). Mr. Scarborough, we met at McGuire's pub in P-cola in 2002 when I was stationed there. It was an honor conversing with you about politics, family, and life."
- "Willie Geist, you're a talented and charismatic journalist. Stop with all the talk show shenanigans and get back to your core of reporting. Your future is brighter than most."
- "...give Piers Morgan an indefinite resident alien and Visa card. Mr. Morgan, the problem that many American gun owners have with you and your continuous discussion of gun control is that you are not an American citizen and have an accent that is distinct and clarifies that you are a foreigner. I want you to know that I agree with you 100% on enacting stricter firearm laws..."
He called Cardinal Mahoney a "predator" and wished him a "slow and painful death."
He had high praise for the hacker group "Anonymous."
* * *
A curious thing happened during Dorner's run from justice - he became a folk hero. A post on one of Dorner's biggest fan sites on Facebook on Tuesday summed it up:
"The spirit of Chris #Dorner will live on forever in our hearts, as an eternal flame - symbolic of the will to stand up in an attempt to eradicate those who would seek to oppress us, by any means necessary, when no one else would."One Facebook page I visited had 4300 + 'Likes' as of this writing. I won't link to it out of respect for the human beings Dorner murdered in cold blood.
* * *
This leads me to wonder why an obviously mentally ill man with a bloodlust and a narcisstic need to enact revenge on every perceived slight he ever suffered (he named his fourth grade teacher for accusing him of stealing) has become a hero. The media bias, with very few exceptions, has clearly left us with the impression that Dorner had a legitimate beef with the LAPD and that at some level Dorner's actions were justified as those of a man who had been pushed to the precipice.
I am left with two questions:
I am left with two questions:
- What would the mass media and social media response had been if Dorner was a Republican or a self-avowed Conservative?
- What would the mass media and social media response had been if Dorner was white?
Think of me what you will, but someone has to ask these questions.