Header Picture

Header Picture

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Bruce Springsteen: Champion of the Little Guy, Fellow Band Members, Not So Much

I'm a rare bird. Not because of my utter brilliance, or my completely correct views on politics. No, I am rare because I'm from New Jersey and I think Bruce Springsteen is an insufferable bore.

Bruuuuuce hit the road in support of Barack Obama's re-election today, because Bruce considers himself the ultimate champion of the little guy and Barack Obama likes celebrities. They make a perfect match.

I don't buy the everyman schtick, and frankly, it's gotten tedious to me because it's so contrived.

In the early 1990's I owned a title company in New Jersey that did property searches for title insurance, mortgages, and real estate transfers. I received a job from a bank client of mine for a foreclosure search on property owned by one of the members of the E Street Band (Bruce had broken the band up to pursue his God-awful 1990's music a year or so prior). I won't mention the name of the band member, but when I got the job, the name was instantly recognizable.

Now, I can't say whether Bruce offered to help, but what I can say is a member of Springsteen's "Band of Brothers" lost his property because he couldn't pay the note on it, and he couldn't pay the note because the Boss had taken away his livelihood.

As a libertarian, I view the world through the lens of self-reliance and taking care of one's own business, so far be it for me to criticize Bruce Springsteen for not helping out a friend in need.

But then again, I don't go around pissing and moaning that the country is unfair and that we should all stop what we are doing to help those who are less fortunate.

To me, Bruce Springsteen is a hypocrite who feels guilty about his success and has therefore decided to spend his days trying to get the rest of us to feel as guilty as he does.

No comments: