Header Picture

Header Picture

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

How To Argue With A Liberal, Part XXX: BACK TO SCHOOL SPECIAL: In This Episode I Learn Exactly Why Democrats Hate NJ Governor Chris Christie

Last week I had an opportunity to argue with a Democrat about Chris Christie. The following is an almost exact recounting of the conversation. I say almost exact because I probably forgot some of my more witty retorts, but I think you'll get the gist of how things went.


Radio In Background: Mentions Chris Christie's appearance at the RNC.

Democrat Guy Who Hates Christie: I hate that jerk.

Me: Why?

DGWHC: Oh come on. He's horrible.

Me: Why?

DGWHC: He hates teachers.

I know a guy who hates Chris Christie.
Neither of us are sure why.


Me: What makes you say that?

DGWHC: Oh come on. He screws them every chance he gets.

Me: Why?



DGWHC: He hates them because they didn't vote for him.

Me: Hahahahaha. Really?

DGWHC: (getting a little red in the face) He took money from them.

Me: How? (sensing I was entering that area where I become disliked by people I argue with, I relented a little) You mean the whole teacher pension thing?

DGWHC: Exactly! He screwed them and ripped them off.

Me: I didn't realize Christie stole money from the teachers.

DGWHC: Yeah, he did. That's why I hate him.


At this point I begin to counter-punch DGWHC with some facts, but first I further disarm him.


Me: I'm not a big fan of his Jersey Guy Schtick, I mean, I get it, but I'm not sure how well it plays outside New Jersey. I think he opens himself up to criticism with it. And I do feel for the rank-and-file in the NJEA who were promised butterflies and rainbows from the union leaders and the Democrats in office when the contracts were signed, but it is what it is sometimes.

DGWHC: Exactly! He's a buffoon.

Me: I know a couple of weeks ago he apologized to a teacher at a press conference for backtracking on a campaign promise not to tear down teacher's benefits, and I know a lot of teachers were pissed because they voted for him on that promise.*  I know Christie was torn by the actual shape of the State budget when he got in office so he had no choice to backtrack on that. Kind of like Obama saying things were a lot worse once he got into office.

DGWHC: I didn't know about that.

Me: I know. Because Christie didn't act like a goon from the Jersey Shore it didn't get a lot of coverage. I know Christie called for a pay-freeze for all state workers and the teacher's union had a fit. I haven't had a raise in four years, so, I don't have a lot of sympathy there. Plus, my health insurance just went up 8%, so I'll care about them when they care about me.

ME: Twenty years ago,public sector employees laughed at people like me who complained about their benefits and salaries and said "hey, if you want a job that pays like mine, get one, otherwise I don't feel sorry for you." Now everybody is broke and those chickens have come home to poop in the public coop. So far, Christie has asked for a salary freeze and asked teachers to contribute the same amount to their benefits package that other state employees contribute, so I don't really see where he hates teachers. Nobody is asking for special treatment here, except the teacher's union.

DGWHC: Yeah, I know. I know.

                                                                  


Admitting defeat because you are unarmed with facts is a hard thing to do. Be gentle with those you crush under the weight of reality.

Do I think I changed DGWHC's mind about the reality of the situation? No.

Do I think I softened the hatred in this otherwise fine person's heart toward the Governor? No.

Do I think DGWHC will come to the next argument with me armed with facts? Yes, and that's all I can ask. I'm confident that once a person is aware of the facts, they'll understand what it is I go on and on and on about all the time.

Don't gloat -- study. Facts will set you free from ignorance...and Democrat Party control.




Click link to read "The Christie Reform Agenda: Putting Children First By Challenging the System" on the NJ Department of Education website.

Click link to read Chris Christie's 2010 letter to all of the local school boards in the state, that started the firestorm of hatred toward Christie from the NJEA.

* -  NJ Teacher Confronts Christie, Get Apology - NBC NY 




Note at the Bottom - Attention all people who aren't lucky enough to be from New Jersey: notice how neither one of us said "fugheddaboutit" once? Neither one of us commented on where to get the best cannolis, and as far as I remember neither one of us shot our cuffs or adjusted our crotches. Keep in mind, New Jersey is the most expensive, most crowded, most horrible place in the entire country to live, and those of us who have been tough enough to stick it out wouldn't live anywhere else.

No comments: