Header Picture

Header Picture

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

American Airlines Wants Your Business, As Long As You Agree With The Politics of Their Flight Attendants

“If someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.” ― Paul Coelho The Alchemist
People can tell you to keep your mouth shut, but that doesn't stop you from having your own opinion.” ― Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl
I have never heard an opinion that makes me angry. I have never heard an opinion that made me feel the need to exact revenge on the author of the opinion.

I am not a Glenn Beck fan. I sort of consider him the Keith Olbermann of the Right wing so I don't watch him or read his stuff. Granted I would tend to agree with Beck far more often than I would Olbermann, but there are certain areas where we are just simply diametrically opposed to each other. I don't begrudge either their points, I just feel that people like Glenn and Keith earn their livings pulling Americans away from each other politically, and all of this pulling is starting to stretch the fabric of America to the point of fraying.  

That being said, when a person pays for a service there should be some expectation of civility and equal treatment -- regardless of that person's politics. This is exactly what the Democrats were so upset about over the summer when it came to Chick-fil-A: The owner of Chick-fil-A stated he was against same-sex marriage and the Democrat party took that to mean every 17 year-old kid serving up chicken sandwiches across the country was fair game for their political histrionics.

Apparently, the employees of American Airlines feel free to treat people like garbage if they don't agree with their politics.

From Beck's website today, after a flight over the weekend on American Airlines from New York to Dallas:
"My flight attendant nearly ‑‑ merely barked the word 'breakfast' when he came to me. When others were politely asked if they cared for anything to eat and given the choices, I was just barked at. When he delivered a soda, he slammed it down so hard, I hesitated to even open the can for fear that it would spray all over other passengers in the cabin. By the way, the other passengers, nobody else had to open their can. He opened it and poured it for them. Never once did he look me in the eye. Never once did he offer a kind or even a neutral word to me. I had service unlike I have never had ever before in my life, and I have had rude service before. I lived in New York City. I have never had service that was specifically designed to make me feel subhuman. Oh, I had it. He put on quite a show as he fawned over the other passengers proudly and loudly performing his life story about being a former Israeli soldier and how he was so proud of the very liberal cities in America."
"While he treated me as a subhuman, he treated my children nicely. So as I was deplaning, as he was standing next to the pilot, I said to him, 'I want to sincerely thank you for not treating my children the way you treated me.' His response? 'It was my pleasure. You deserved it.' The pilot didn’t say anything, nor did the other passengers, but they probably didn’t know what was going on."
Read the whole piece on Beck's website.


To be fair, American Airline's is on top of this on social media, even tweeting me back personally after I re-tweeted Beck's original post:
@el_sharkey We’re sorry for the experience Mr. Beck had on his trip. We’ve reached out to his office & are actively looking into this.
Should we hold an entire airline responsible for the actions of one moron employee? Absolutely.

Should we give American Airlines the chance to right the wrong, in a way they see fit? We're waiting...

No comments: