BREAKING: Barack Obama canceled his annual vacation to Martha's Vineyard because he's really in touch with the suffering of the nation. We love him.
|Ann and Mitt on a Waverunner. |
You probably shouldn't vote for him because
not everybody can afford a Waverunner.
Unemployment was announced at 8.2% during Romney's vacation, and the press just thought it was horrible that he would flaunt his wealth while so many of us were eating Raman noodles and praying our food stamps would come so we could score a ham sandwich. An alert reporter asked him if it was a good idea to take a vacation while millions of Americans were suffering because of George Bush's policies, (well, that's not what he actually said, but we all know what he meant).
“You know I’m delighted to be able to take a vacation with my family,” Romney replied, "I think all Americas appreciate the memories they have with their children and their grandchildren. I hope more Americans are able to take vacations. And if I’m president of the United States, I’m going to work very hard to make sure we have good jobs for all Americans who want good jobs and as part of a good job the capacity to take a vacation now and then with their loved ones.”
Yeah, blah, blah, blah, another rich guy rubbing our noses in his wealth, or something. I'm not sure, but whatever he said, I'm sure he wants the middle class to lose their money to evil corporations and bankers. Or something. Whatever, I'm voting Obama.
Let's look at the two men on vacation:
|Here's Barack and the girls on Martha's Vineyard two years ago, |
eating a shaved ice and looking fantastic!
We love them!
If I had a dad, he would look like Obama, or at least I would wish he did.
|Here's Mitt and Ann last week at Lake Winnepesaukee last week. |
She looks annoyed, Mitt is hot and sweaty, the kid is fussy.
Friggin' rich people suck.
If I had a dad he would probably be all white and
pasty and eat vanilla ice cream just like Romney.
President Obama's Vacation Schedule
That being said, let's look at Obama's vacation record, you know, just so we can be fair when we tear Romney apart for daring to spend his time and his own money enjoying his family.
- August 2009, their first summer vacation as first family at Martha’s Vineyard. Unemployment rate = 9.6%
- August 2009, Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Canyon. UE rate = 9.6%
- Christmas 2009, Hawaii for non-sectarian holiday break. UE rate = 9.9%
- March 2010, First Lady and daughter spend Spring Break in NYC. UE rate = 9.8%
- May 2010, first family takes four-day trip to Chicago. UE rate = 9.6%
- July 2010, first family vacations at Mount Desert Island, Maine. UE rate = 9.5%
- August 2010, summer vacation at Martha’s Vineyard. UE = 9.6%
- August 2010, First Lady and daughter Sasha vacation in Spain. UE rate = 9.6%
- August 2010, President Obama celebrates his 49th birthday weekend alone in Chicago.* UE rate = 9.6%
- August 2010, first family travels to Panama City Beach, Fla., for some beach time. UE rate = 9.6%
- Christmas 2010, in Hawaii. UE rate = 9.4%
- President’s Day 2011, first lady and daughters ski in Vail, CO. UE rate = 9.0%
- June 2011, first lady, her mother and daughters travel to South Africa and Botswana. UE rate = 9.1%
- August 2011, annual summer Martha’s Vineyard vacation. UE rate = 9.1%
- Christmas 2011, annual holiday vacation in Hawaii. UE rate = 8.5%
- President’s Day 2012, Michelle and the first daughters in Aspen, Colorado to ski. UE rate = 8.3%
While we're at, let's look at a few other things:
- Obama has also taken 23 trips to Camp David. One of those trips was as host to foreign dignitaries (during the G8 summit). GW took way more trips to Camp David, but he also hosted way more foreign dignitaries there.
- Obama has played 100 games of golf as of June 17, 2012. Eisenhower was the king of Presidential Golf. Obama is the Prince.
- Obama has attended 150 fundraisers. Nobody comes close to Obama when it comes to flying around and raising money.
For the record, I will vote for Mitt Romney in November because even though I disagree with Romney on some issues, I disagree with him less than I do with Barack Obama. My point is to put the country back on the path to prosperity and individual freedom by degrees, how ever small the steps may be.
I could also care less where the President takes his vacations because I am not so dumb as to think the President of the United States doesn't work during his vacations. I also could care less what anybody does for their vacation, as long as you don't come to my house and make a lot of noise when I'm trying to watch Storage Wars. But, besides all that, you people are the ones who are obsessed with what Mitt Romney does during his vacation, so I just thought I'd add a little perspective to the dialogue. After all, the press corps** in this country have already decided that Mitt is bad so you're not going to get the full picture from them.
** Since this is a piece about President Obama, I have decided that you will pronounce the word "corps" as "corpse" while reading it.
Source material for this piece compiled additionally from: