Header Picture

Header Picture

Friday, May 18, 2012

All Hope Is Not Lost

To my detractors, and there are many (and I'm not just talking about my ex-wife's family), I am the following:
  • Enemy of the USA
  • @$$%^&*
  • Old, Out-of-Touch White Conservative $H^&H#$%
  • F#$%^&* @$$%^&*
  • Troll
  • F#$%^&* Idiot
  • Racist Puke
  • Lardass Whitey
  • Stupid Piece of $H^&
And that's just since Monday.

Knowing that there are still some people in the world who don't like me, I stopped to buy some gasoline on my way to work this morning because I still have to carry on.
work/w…ôrk/Noun: Activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result. Verb: Be engaged in physical or mental activity in order to achieve a purpose or result, esp. in one's job; do work. Synonyms: noun. job - labor - business - labour - occupation - employment verb. operate - labor - function - labour - run - go - make
That's just in case some of my detractors are unfamiliar with the term.

Anyway, I got into a discussion with the attendant, (I live in New Jersey -- the government here is afraid to let us pump our own gas). Normally I don't speak to gas station attendants because I'm generally so annoyed at having to wait for them to get off their cell phones that by the time they get to me I choose to remain quiet lest I act like a gas attendant detractor.

Let's call the attendant "Kyle" because that's his name. Kyle is the opposite age and color than I am, but both of us being males, we had our love for cars in common. In particular, my dirty, unwaxed 2003 Ford pickup with 170,000 miles on that can kick your pickup's ass.

We got to talking about automobile detailing. Kyle explained that he has an OCD-like attention to detail when he cleans his mom and dad's car and that he's often thought about opening his own detailing business. I was already late for work, so I had plenty of time to explore this further with him.

He threw out some ideas about working, and I gave him back some ideas about marketing and pricing. He excused himself after the guy on the next island beeped his horn and looked like I usually look when I buy gas, while I thought more about the opportunity at hand. After about 10 minutes, we came to the conclusion that for about a $200 investment he could start his own door-to-door auto-detailing business.

Politicians and liberals take note: That $200 figure was before you guys got your regulatory hooks into the poor kid.

I finally left and the thought occurred to me that other than Kyle's parents, no one had probably ever urged him to be a capitalist. Just encountering this kid who was out hustling at 7:00AM trying to turn a buck while he was open to discussing other ways to work his rear-end off to earn more bucks reminded me that as long as there are new generations of people who understand the value of being alive and working to make a life for themselves, we'll all be okay.

Now the job for my generation -- the one supposedly in charge now -- is to make it as easy as possible for the Kyle's of the world to live their lives fruitfully and joyfully.

Government doesn't do that. People do.



Note at the Bottom: I'll be off the grid next week taking a little vacation with the fam. Haters can continue to load my inbox up with spite and vitriol, I'll delete it all when I get back. Everyone else who understands what this blog is all about just go on about your business, enjoying your life and your freedom and never forget our job as libertarians is to keep liberty alive for everyone, even those folks who call us ugly names.  

1 comment:

MarkStoryJenks said...

Enjoy your vacation!