Header Picture

Header Picture

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Campaign Speech In Front of People Other Than the Same Old Union Hacks and School Children

Tonight is the Sate of the Union Address, or as the President calls it "A Campaign Speech In Front of  People Other Than the Same Old Union Hacks and School Children." The President will promise a lot of things and place all of the blame squarely on the political opposition. If you are shaking your fist at me because you think I am a racist for not supporting the President, understand that I have said, and will continue to say, this same thing about every President, whether I think they are trying to "fundamentally change" America or not.

The State of the Union is a great time for a President go over his list of failures and get all indignant about them while we bob our heads like chihuahuas on the rear decks of our grandmother's '64 Impalas. If you buy into anything that gets said then you are, well, grandma always said that if I couldn't say anything nice...

I would like for the president -- any president -- to stand up there some day and just say, "Look the State of the Union is pretty crappy, and since I'm in charge I guess it's kind of my fault, so that being said, I'm going to adjust my trim a bit and get us sailing in a different direction." I would also like my first wife to give me back the years she stole from me by giving weedwhackers and paint brushes for Christmas, and telling me all the bills were paid.

Anyway, politics is on everybody's mind, especially since American Idol will get pre-empted, so I would like to offer you a reminder of why you keep coming back to this blog.

Here's a fun little political quiz game you can play with your Democrat friends. I like to call it "Fun With Positives," and as the name implies not only is the game fun, but it also proscribes saying negative things to prove your point.

Here's the rules:
  1. You must state your political case by stating what you (and your candidate of choice) stand for, only.
  2. You cannot mention the name of any opposition candidate, person, or party.
  3. Even an incumbent is a candidate in an election, so don't get cute.
If you break any of the rules you prove that your political beliefs are not well formed or based in actual fact, and so I win.

A sample game might sound like this:

YOU: Why do you support [insert name of generic conservative presidential candidate here]?
ME: He believes, like I do, in small government that exists as a tool to success, not as a means or an end to it.
YOU: But [insert name of potential future failed president here] he's rich, so he's inherently unfair and he ties dogs to the roof of his car.
ME: I remember when I was in my twenties, people aspired to be rich, now they just aspire to bitch. I like rich people more than I even like middle-class people. Rich people very rarely storm the gates of the Bastille. And as far as tying a dog to a car, what are you going to tell me next, that he only pays 13% in income taxes? Why is that important to you, because you are a class-warfarist?
YOU: Okay, moving on, but what about that other guy [insert name of potential future failed president here], he's had multiple marriages and he thinks black kids should be janitors
ME: Frankly, I could care less about his marriage record, because when I was in my thirties we had a president who was kind of messy in that department and I learned from the monolithic media that a candidate's personal life didn't matter, because it was -- personal. As far as the janitors bit, you are obviously not paying attention. You brought race into this, not him, so what's that say about you? What I got from his speech was that kids from low-income families could gain a measure of self-esteem from learning early how to earn their own money. You might be surprised by this, but there are poor people from all the colors of the rainbow. I had a paper route when I was twelve and I bought a Schwinn Varsity from the proceeds. I wish I still had that bike.
YOU: But what about [insert name of current and future failed president here] don't you like? Pretty much his race, right?
ME: I don't like people who believe that the government -- any government -- should be central to people's lives. Whether it's a busybody on my local school board who sides with the teacher's union and PTA, or that obnoxious guy on Facebook who is always making fun of people who don't think like he does. I want a president who is all in as an American. One who is not just a self-serving party politician who puts his own position and power ahead of the success of the American people. I dislike politicians who believe that votes come from suffering, and therefore become purveyors of it.
YOU:
ME: I win. At the very root of libertarianism is the uplifting of the human spirit that enables people to reach their fullest potential and the incumbent joy that comes with witnessing other people's success. Try it some time. As for me, I am going to vote for the candidate who comes closest to my beliefs knowing full well that there is no such thing as a perfect candidate for everyone.


There is no doubt that the monolithic media and the Left in this country own the dialogue, but that doesn't mean those of us who truly feel differently shouldn't put our best efforts into taking the dialogue back.

No comments: