Header Picture

Header Picture

Monday, November 21, 2011

Why I'm Having A Hard Time Feeling Sorry For You

I was reminded today of a beautiful, sunny, Saturday afternoon in July of 1979. It had something to do with the night before, Van Halen and Asbury Park, but that's none of your business. Yup, my memory (at least in this case) is that good, even at my advanced age. I spent about two or three hours that day sitting in a gas line, because that's what we all did in the summer of 1979 (except for the aforementioned bit which is still none of your business).

Just so you know, a barrel of oil cost about $15.85 (peak) and a gallon of gas went for around $0.85 cents (adjusted for inflation that's about 2.52 in 2010 dollars). I don't remember exactly how much I bought, but I find it hard to believe I would put in any more than two or three dollars since that's probably all I had in my pocket -- I was an absolutely broke college student, y'know. Since I was buying the gas to get my butt to school on Monday, I was pretty sure I spent the rest of the weekend doing things that didn't include driving somewhere or spending money. By the way, I'm not looking for pity here, key words: Friday night, Asbury Park, Van Halen. We make our choices in life, and that my friends is my point.

I was going to a technical school that later got shut down for falsifying loan applications, but its all I could afford at the time. I was unwilling to load myself up with student loans, figuring I could go to school on the five year plan (it eventually took fifteen). In the end, it worked out, but at the time it was a royal pain in the ass. But looking back, most of everyone's journey is in fact, a royal pain in the ass. That's kind of what it's all about...figuring out how to make ends meet so when you get older you can feel like you actually accomplished something.

It also gives people like me who were not necessarily born yesterday a chance to tell you kids to stop your bitching and apply yourselves, and stay the hell off my lawn while you're doing it. If you keep on hoping someone else will take care of your business for you, who's going to take care of it for you after you all put me away in the old age home?

Put that in your Occupy Wall Street pipe and smoke it.



Note at the bottom: I won't even start to talk about Iran, and the Soviet Union, Three Mile Island or Jimmy Carter. I don't think you caould handle it all at once.

No comments: