Header Picture

Header Picture

Monday, August 8, 2011

My Senator Robert Menendez. I Am Obviously Taxed But Not Represented.

On July 26th, in response to President Obama's urging me to contact my congressional representatives, I wrote the following letter to Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ). My comments to his reply are in red.

Here's what I wrote:

Dear Senator Menendez,

I am a constituent of yours and I want to take this opportunity to tell you how incredibly disappointed I am in the representation I am receiving in Washington.

Please tell your colleagues in the Senate to stop their political posturing and work on a bill to solve our current deficit problem much like you would work to solve problems in your own business or home. The crisis manufacturing being perpetrated by President Obama and your Majority Leader is only going to serve to further inflame the political divide that currently has our country in an economic purgatory.

I will support an incumbent Senate candidate in the next election who has a track record of supporting me and my family or I will support a non-incumbent candidate who most closely identifies him or herself with my desire to get America working again.

Most Sincerely,
Jack Sharkey
Jackson, NJ
732-xxx-xxxx
Here's the reply I got back from Senator Melendez's office:

Dear Mr. Sharkey:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for funding our national priorities. I appreciate hearing from you on this critical issue and having the opportunity to respond. (I actually didn't express any support whatsoever for funding our national priorities)

Like you, I support spending policies that make responsible, rational decisions rather than draconian cuts to essential investments in human capital, critical infrastructure and innovation that will grow our nation's recovery. (Nowhere in my letter did I mention rational decisions, in fact I solidly support draconian cuts) I agree that while tough choices need to be made across the board, sacrifice should not disproportionately impact our most vulnerable. (I am in the middle-class, and trust me Senator Menendez, we're pretty frickin' vulnerable out here) As we aim to reduce the gap between our commitments and our resources, we must continue investing in areas that will have the largest impact on those who need it most. (This sentence actually makes me sick to my stomach. Investing blindly for those "who need it most" is part of our problem)

While we look for ways to reduce our nation's deficits, the fact remains that we will never balance the budget with discretionary spending cuts alone. (Ummm, that's an utter lie. Of course cutting spending balances budgets, I'm in the middle-class, I know!) You can rest assured that I will not lose sight of the fact that fiscal responsibility requires a balance between targeted spending cuts and key investments that reflect America's values and uphold our moral commitment to help those in need. (Right Bob, that's my problem. I know that when you say "investment" you mean "tax increase" and if you bothered to take the time to read my letter you would see that I am not real big on "investment," in fact, fiscal responsibility to me means SPENDING LESS MONEY) As your federal representative, I take very seriously my responsibility to work with colleagues on both sides of the aisle to enact thoughtful fiscal policy that invests in our priorities and foments a financially secure future for our nation's children. (This sentence is just utter garbage)

Again, thank you for reaching out to me. This issue is very important to me and I appreciate your support. I invite you to visit my website (http://menendez.senate.gov) to learn more about how I am standing up for New Jersey families in the United States Senate. (Geez Senator Bob, from your reply to me I can only take away two things: 1) you couldn't have been less bothered to read my letter and 2) you are in no way standing up for NJ families who are going broke investing in programs for other people)

So, it's comforting to know that when I feel taxed without even the facade of being represented, I am right. Thanks Senator Bob Menendez (D-NJ) for confirming what I already knew - you're a politician for your party and not for the people of your state. In fact, your complete disregard for my letter only proves how arrogant and out-of-touch you are.

Oh by the way, dear old Frank Lautenberg's office didn't even bother to send a form letter.


No comments: