Header Picture

Header Picture

Thursday, July 28, 2011

1,000s of Heat Records Fall...Andrew Freedman Sort Of Explains It

While I'm busy making fun of all the Chicken Littles out there who actually think Global Warming is man-made and that they can solve it by whining and peeing their pants, let's look at an article in the Washington Post by Andrew Freedman from yesterday.

I like science and facts and I tend to shy away from bullshit-and those who spew it-as much as possible. But I just couldn't avoid this one.

Heat set thousands of records is the headline of this nice little ditty. Right, you see, if my town sets a heat record, and your town, which is right next to my town, sets a record, and then a town three miles from your town sets a record, and so on and so on, well eventually "thousands of heat records are broken." This is an utterly ridiculous claim that serves no scientific purpose other than to scare the great majority of American dolts who only get their news from headlines. There were 1,966 daytime records set and 4,376 (supposedly) nighttime records set. Yet, in spite of this, we're all still here and my 50/50 blend tee-shirt did not melt to my skin.

There are two other really wonderful, fanciful paragraphs...

In many ways, this heat wave exemplified the type of extreme heat events that climate-science studies show are becoming more common in many parts of the world, likely due at least in part to man-made emissions of greenhouse gases.
I have some questions about this:
  1. In how many ways and what exactly were those ways?
  2. Since when is it uncommon for it to be really hot in the summer? Did you, Mr. Freedman, happen to spend some time on this continent this past winter? The snow is still melting out west for crying out loud.
  3. "Likely due at least in part." What a completely moronic way to say that you actually have no idea whether man-made global warming is even real or part of the issue.
Check out this gem:
One study, published in the Journal of Geophysical Research in 2008, stated: "The risk of hot summers is currently rapidly increasing, raising the likelihood of record-breaking heat waves around the world, as seen in Europe in 2003 and 2006 and in North America in 1995 and 2006."
Okay, three of the past 16 summers have been real hotties and I'm supposed to actually think we are on the brink of disaster. Here's my statistic: Thirteen of the past 16 summers have not been record breakers, which is a clear and certain indicator that we are all going to die someday.

I take a lot of heat (incidental pun) for my stance that global warming is a political belief and not real science. I take this stance because I don't believe in junk science. I've also lived long enough to know that back in the day we were going to die from global freezing, and that basically, winters and summers in my lifetime haven't changed all that much. I have lived for one half of the fossil fuel revolution, so, merrrr, well, it's all just kind of dumb.

No comments: