Header Picture

Header Picture

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thursday: Missoula to McCall, ID

Notes from the ChildLine Rocks charity motorcycle ride through BC, AB, MT and ID:


I am actually a little frightened for my safety. No, it's not what you think, it's the pack riding. A few of our riders have no problem passing others of us - at speed - on the right.

In the same lane.

With no warning.

Passing in the same lane, either left or right, and weaving in and out of traffic on 900 pound bikes at 70 MPH is not a good idea, at least in this country anyway. I did point this out to several riders, but I was summarily told American road rules were "stupid." Right, I'll hang out in the back of the pack then.

Idaho is spectacular. The scenery goes from Alpine to desolate sand hills in a matter of a few miles. The air goes from blistering hot to blistering cold sometimes in a matter of a few yards. The altitude is getting to this Jersey Shore boy, (no not the moronic Jersey Shore, the Jersey Shore where the real people live).

A lot of hard riding today, so most of it was a bit of a blur. I did realize halfway through the day that my inner monologue had taken on a British accent, with cool British slang thrown in for good measure. I found this a bit odd, as my actual, verbal British accent is often met with ridicule.

After getting tired of hearing how stupid and oafish Americans are, I dared to tell one of the worst offenders that it's obvious Brits look down their noses at the rest of the world. Man oh man, did this piss the guy off in a major way. Right, just taking the piss mate.

Ummm, no, I did not get to use the desk in the room.

No comments: