Header Picture

Header Picture

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Learning How To Not Be A Young Person Anymore

So you all know I am on a break from politics this week, I'm not worried though because when I get back to the daily grind on July 20 we can all assume nothing will have changed. So why not pretend its not the Obama-Limbaugh Era of Politics for a while and enjoy life without non-stop political debate?

I'm leaving at 4:30 tomorrow morning to catch a flight to Calgary to join up with a bunch of other bikers from the UK to do a 1,000 mile ride for charity next week. I'm going to be riding through Glacier National Park and the Rocky Mountains with some very cool British musicians and other folks on a rented 2011 Harley-Davidson StreetGlide on the corporate dime (special shout-out to KEF America for supporting the charity and fully sponsoring my involvement in the ride). A pretty good deal and certainly something to be extremely excited about. Except I'm not over the moon with excitement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely grateful to have the opportunity and I full well know this is a once-in-a-lifetime deal, but what I'm finding out is that at the ripe old age of 51, I take things a little more evenly than I did 10 or 20 years ago.

I've traveled a lot, I have an ex-wife that makes Attila the Hun look like Mary Poppins, I've run a business and closed it, lost jobs, found new ones, raised a family with my incredible wife, and in the last year I've lost more people that I was close to than I did in the first 50 years of my life combined. And the result of all of this living is that I'm now a sort of level, contented person who takes the good and bad in stride. Which also apparently means I don't get giddy with excitement anymore.

In a way that sort of sucks, but I'm guessing its just a natural by-product of living life. I enjoy the moment now and I am in every moment I experience. The trade-off being I don't become filled with anticipation like I used to do, say, at Christmas. It's just a matter now of learning how to be an older person who looks at life as the sum of experience rather than the anticipation of gaining it.

So I'll be posting from the road this week, and I pretty much hope that by the time I land in Calgary tomorrow afternoon I'll be in full little-kid-at-Christmas mode.

No comments: