Header Picture

Header Picture

Friday, July 1, 2011

America's Current Civil War: Some Thoughts on Independence

I cannot get past President Obama's comment during his presser on Wednesday about the owners of corporate jets. "They'll still be able to ride 'em, they'll just have to pay more to do it." A man could only utter these words if he truly felt he had the right to determine how people use their private property and you cannot argue with me otherwise (although feel free to give it a go as long as you're intellectually honest about it).

We are in the midst of a civil war between people of wealth and everyone else. This civil war is being perpetrated by people who are scared to death the war will shift to being between people who have power and those who don't.

God grants us equality when we are born. Once we escape the sometimes bad decisions of those who are put in charge of us until we reach our majority, we are equal once again. Sure some of us may have to work a little harder to shake off a bad start, but that's life. Sure some of us resent the good fortune of others. That's not life, that's laziness.

What limits us is our decisions. I had the opportunity to try to make a go of it in the music business, but I chose not to. I chose to go get a job and settle down and be a contributing member of society rather than struggling to chase a dream that was likely to end with a sputter instead of an explosion, but was still worth chasing. With eyes wide shut I got married early, had kids, bought a house. I became a slave to another person's perception of living. Mercifully that marriage ended by the time I was in my mid-twenties. It took a few years, but I learned the only person I have to blame is myself. The only person I can credit my successes and failures on is me.

Once I learned that, life became easy. I began to think about things in terms of my navigation through life without resenting the perceived power of others. The liberation was magnificent. There is no person who exerts control over the decisions I make except for me, good, bad or indifferent.

This is why I believe in Libertarianism and why I understand Anarchy. I am not afraid of myself and I am not afraid of you. I am afraid of people with power, because power is a corrupting force. Did you ever watch a cop turn on his lights and sirens to squeeze through a traffic jam so he could get home on time? Think about that power at the Federal level.

I am an activist for Libertarian causes because I think America is now, and always has been, the only place on the planet where a person can truly seek their own level of achievement. This is why idiotic statements from a President who will never know the trials and tribulations that come with freedom bother me to my core.

We are now a country populated by people who would steal my ability to succeed or fail on my own by enslaving me to mediocrity so people who choose not to succeed can feel good about themselves. The road to hell is paved with the good intentions of people who think they are helping the downtrodden. If you are healthy in mind and body and you live in America, you cannot be forced to be downtrodden, you choose to be downtrodden by the decisions you make.

If you choose to allow the government to pave your way, you choose to limit yourself. Life is short, and it's not easy. Don't make it worse by letting faceless uncaring bureaucrats decide how you live it.

Happy Independence Day.

No comments: