I'll forego the insipid angle of Chris Wallace's potentially valid question of whether or not Bachmann is a "flake," but Matt Lauer's pressing of Bachmann as to whether she would "get angry" if the budget ceiling is raised was just as demeaning if not more subtle. The tone of his words left no doubt that he was questioning her ability to maintain a steady emotional course during times of disagreement. I don't hear that tone when the questions are directed at men.
And now the MSM is up-in-arms about Bachmann's supposed mixing up of actor John Wayne and serial killer John Wayne Gacy. John Wayne was born a few hundred miles from Waterloo, Iowa, but his parents did start their married life together in Waterloo before moving back to the Des Moines area because they missed their families. To understand small-town pride is to understand the connection people in Waterloo feel toward John Wayne. John Wayne Gacy was from Chicago but he did settle in Waterloo and it was in Waterloo that he committed his crimes. At the very least, did Bachmann make an unclear throw-away statement? Absolutely. Did she mix up John Wayne and John Wayne Gacy? Seriously, get a grip. If you are a person who actually thinks this you need to up your seriousness quotient.
In short, political women and African-American men on the Right in this country are treated savagely by the MSM and the Left, and there is no justification for it.
For fun, let's look at some Obama gaffes that were all but ignored by the American MSM:
- April, 2009: In response to a question asking what he learned from European leaders, Obama responded that it was "interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There's a lot of - I don't know what the term is in Austrian - wheeling and dealing." For you Obama supporters, Austrians speak German.
- March, 2009: During a visit to Washington, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown presented Obama with a pen holder crafted from the timbers of the 19th century British warship HMS President. The desk in the Oval Office was crafted from wood from the warship's sister ship, HMS Resolute, so Brown's gift had meaning. Obama's gift to Brown? Twenty-five DVDs of American movies that were formatted for the American market and were therefore unplayable in the UK. For you Obama supporters, you have to admit the gift was tacky. The Obama's are a bit tacky, but they couldn't even figure out the difference between NTSC and PAL for a State gift?
- He gave the Queen of England an iPod with his speeches on it. Apparently Obama thinks people from other countries are not as, shall we say, sophisticated and aware as he is.
- Obama travelled to 57 states during the campaign. I know, I know, he was tired from all of the travelling.
- During the '08 campaign Obama chastised FEMA after "10,000 people were killed" in tornadoes in Kansas. Surprisingly, I didn't hear about the actual 10,000 deaths or the fact that Obama got the number wrong.
When you protect someone from themselves, as the MSM protects Obama from his inexperience and occasional intellectual lapses, you are treating them with condescension. A strong and capable person does not need protection from his or her supporters. A strong and capable person is able to stand on their own words and actions without the rationalization and protection of others. It is obvious that the MSM is not confident Obama can function without their protection.
Now the question is: why has the MSM chosen to be so condescending to Obama and so direct and unforgiving to Bachmann (or Palin for that matter)(or Herman Cain for that matter)(or Clarence Thomas for that matter)(or...well you get the idea)?