SpeakForChange dot org called Mr. Weddle "the most patriotic man in America." I don't know what SpeakForChange's politics are, and I'm not even sure they do because they're not listed anywhere, but this quote alone gives you some idea about who they are.
Mr. Weddle himself said, "I'm still very emotional about this. About all the death and destruction. I'm finally getting closure on this."
The principal of the school he teaches at said she was proud of Mr. Weddle because his beard reminded students everyday for ten years about the horrific events of September 11.
Mr. Weddle is a media darling of sorts.
This is all very silly and childish, and I have some questions.
- Other than remind his students of all the "death and destruction" by bringing attention to himself by wearing a 15" beard, what did Mr. Weddle do to educate his students about the attacks?
- What did Mr. Weddle do in his personal life to honor the victims or help prevent future attacks?
- What did Mr. Weddle do to help support the soldiers who have been fighting for our security while his beard has been growing?
- Other than bring attention to himself, what did Mr. Weddle do to empathize with the families of the 3,000 victims, and with the families of all the wounded and dead soldiers since?
- If Mr. Weddle was sincere about his vow, why did he alert the media that he had shaved?
And before Mr. Weddle's supporters take me to task here, let me just say I didn't invite Mr. Weddle into my home and consciousness, he just sort of showed up.